Sciatic nerve pain can be one of the most debilitating disorders we see here at Cove Chiropractic. This pain starts in the lower back and can radiate across the back and buttocks and down both legs, resulting in severe pain. Now patients who are feeling the effects of this don't have to travel far for treatment with the opening of our Huntsville office.
What is Sciatica?
In the majority of cases (90 percent) sciatic nerve pain is caused by a herniated disc that pinches the sciatic nerve. Many people end up seeing a doctor for the leg pain that is associated with this condition. The pain normally follows a path through one side of the buttocks and down one leg into the foot. Raising your leg increases the pain. In addition to pain, there may be tingling or numbness in the foot on the affected side. Sciatica is influenced by:
- Weight - more weight puts more stress on the spine
- Occupation - regular heavy lifting, bending, and twisting
- Prolonged sitting
- Diabetes - which increases nerve damage
The good news is that once you get treatment for sciatica, the prognosis is good
How Do You Treat Sciatic Nerve Pain?
The treatment used to correct sciatic nerve pain is varied, depending on the severity of the symptoms and the cause. After a thorough evaluation, you can expect one or more of the following courses of treatment:
1. Chiropractic manipulation, which is used to help realign the spine.
2. Massage therapy is often used to help relieve pain.
3. Physical therapy to help strengthen the spine and relieve pressure on the nerve.
4. Medication that is used for pain relief. These can take the form of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), oral steroids, anticonvulsant drugs such as gabapentin, anti-depressants, or opioid pain reliever, which is used only if none of the others work.
5. Injections to help relieve pain and inflammation.
6. Surgery is the final course of action and is not usually recommended unless all other treatment methods have failed.
On average, patients can expect relief of symptoms in as little as four to six weeks, although it may take longer if the problem has been going on for some time.
Find Sciatica Relief in Huntsville
Cove Chiropractic has opened an office that serves sciatica patients in Huntsville and the surrounding area. Don't let sciatic nerve pain keep you from doing all the things you love. Contact our office today for all your chiropractic needs. Our knowledgeable staff offers more than simple treatment. We have a nutritionist, offer exercise to help strengthen your back, and have massage therapy available. Don't stay in pain another day.